Jaguar Driver Forums

Go Back   Jaguar Driver Forums > XJ X300 and X308 > XJ X300 and X308 - Electrical

IMPORTANT CHANGE TO FORUMS
The behaviour of the forums has changed. Personal notification of postings to threads via e-mail has always been available if you subscribed to it. Now it is automatic, but please ensure your browser has not classed notification e-mails as spam. If so, you can correct this by 'unmarking' it as spam, and all subsequent e-mails should be considered ok.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Default 1999 XJ8 Bluetooth car phone compatability

I am a new member of the JDC having recently purchased a 1999 XJ8 Sport.
I would appriciate advice, is it possible to connect a bluetooth hands free phone kit that would also be compatable to work with the existing number pad associated with the radio and the control buttons mounted on the steering wheel.
I have been told my only option is to have an original Jaguar accessory carphone installed, but this phone is rather dated, and would require swapping the sim-card to my mobile phone when not using the car.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:34 AM

Default In-built telephone

Hi Chris.....I have never found a blue tooth phone set-up that manages to use the inbuilt controls.....BUT...the full inbuilt system that can be fitted into your XJ8 is fantastic, if somewhat gimmicky and way ahead of its time back in 1996.

I have the full set up and it is always there to be used whilst driving...My normal mobile is set to DIVERT, so if not answered it goes through to the car phone which mutes the radio and uses the car speakers..There is, therefore no need to swap sim cards.[/U][/B] The phones to look for, are the Motorola 8700 "jaguar" or the later Motorola Star-Tac 130 "Jaguar". Make sure they have the "Jaguar" motif and show this on startup , otherwise they will not work from the car controls.

You will also need the microphone and large electronic module that is mounted under the glove box......go on, search one out and treat your car, it is what Jaguar intended for YOU. ENJOY YOUR XJ8
Old 15-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Default 1999 XJ8 Bluetooth car phone compatability

Thanks for the info.
My wife & I will be coming to the National Jaguar Drivers Club day August 1st.
Hopefully I will get to see a Jaguar Motorola fitted phone, or maybe even buy one with the associated phone car kit.

Chris
Old 16-06-2010, 06:05 PM

Default Bluetooth phone connection.

I have just discovered:

http://j.roal.home.mchsi.com/X308Bluetooth.pdf

It shows how to connect a bluetooth phone kit to the existing Jaguar phone wiring so that the phone uses the car speakers,the radio mutes when the phone is in use, and the word 'Phone' is displayed on the radio.

However, I don't think the keypad & steering wheel control will work with this, but getting closer to a solution.

Chris
Old 17-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Hi Chris......I have looked at the diagrams on that web site, but it all requires the Jaguar PHONE MODULE that goes under the glove box and is all part of the inbuilt system, as is the microphone and the rear screen aerial. So, unless you have these fitted, your are no closer.

There is one bluetooth that connects to the wiring that you already have below the glove box, BUT it does not allow the use of number dialing from the radio etc......have you had a look on that famous web auction site E..y
Old 19-06-2010, 08:23 PM

Hello Jag-u-r
Thanks for your advice,
Looks as if I'm no forward than I was before I started.
I will take a look on eBay for an original Jaguar phone kit, but I think I will probably end up getting a bluetooth 'Parrot' phone kit fitted working on speach recognition, and unfortunatly not connected to the existing controls.
Thanks again,
Chris