Jaguar Driver Forums

Go Back   Jaguar Driver Forums > Department S-Type > Department S-Type - Mechanical

IMPORTANT CHANGE TO FORUMS
The behaviour of the forums has changed. Personal notification of postings to threads via e-mail has always been available if you subscribed to it. Now it is automatic, but please ensure your browser has not classed notification e-mails as spam. If so, you can correct this by 'unmarking' it as spam, and all subsequent e-mails should be considered ok.

Old 16-06-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Auto Gearbox Oil Changing

My S Type 2004 Diesel has the ZF 6-speed box. The box has had one or two little hiccups along the way, mainly harsh lurching changes when pulling away from rest. Interestingly, this fault has led to a number of websites being created:- www.thelurch.com is a good starting point! A number of software updates by Guy Salmon seem to have improved matters considerably.

This is by the way as I wanted to discuss the "sealed for Life" design of the ZF.
I have never been completely comfortable with the thought of a high pressure lubricant working hard and unchanged for the car's lifetime. It seems that I am not alone as Honest John (Sunday Times) recently discussed the issue. He mentioned an association of gearbox reconditioners "Fedauto" that may be able to help. I approached one of their members for a quotation for replacing my gearbox oil and they quoted an astonishing 1395+VAT!
What on earth is involved - does any member know please? Mine will probably have to remain "sealed for life!"
Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 PM

Hi Peter,
I also have a 2004 Diesel Auto which has now covered 96,000 miles. My ZF box suffered from the "lurch" which Guy Salmon couldn't/didn't fix, but my local independant carried out the correct upgrade and it's fine now. Mine also suffered from "Squawk" on kick-down from 6th to 4th gear around 60mph. This was sorted by an additive but as far as I know, the Oil has never been changed.

JDC Midlands Area 7 recently arranged a visit to the ZF Plant in Nottingham which re-manufactures many auto gearboxes, including ours. The cost of one of these was not a great deal more than you have been quoted for an oil change. I think that like yours, my gearbox will remain sealed for life as well.
Old 18-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Default ZF gearboxes and "The Lurch"

Hello Jim,
Yes, I agree that a reconditioned box would be a better way to spend the money! Hopefully it won't come to that - however, mine has just started introducing a little jerk once more - just before coming to rest and again when pulling away. I spoke too soon! (I have only done 34,000 miles and "the lurch" was actually delivered with the car!) Back to Guy Salmon!
I bought my car new and have been delighted with it ever since. I am rather ancient now but have worked as an engineer in and around the motor industry all my life, so I take a bit of impressing! The car is a great drive and the engine/gearbox combination is probably the best I have come across. My first new car was a Jaguar 2.4 (1959) and that was frightening - drum brakes!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Default ZF Auto Gearbox

Whilst I appreciate the the transmission fluid is quite expensive 1395 + VAT for a 2 hour job is way out of the ball park. I can only assume that they will be changing the gearbox. I had a brief chat with Roger Kemp at National day - as he is considering an oil change - and he mentioned a figure of 150 (David Hague), which is much more realistic.

There has been a lot said and written about the ZF and its problems ie; lurching when coming to a halt, rough gear changes, MIL light coming on when reverse selected to name but a few. Some of the problems are also evident in the BMW fitment.

One of the 'cures' for poor shift quality is an oil change and flush, there is also a software upgrade (reflash) which seems to have worked in many case but failed in others. The lurch when coming to a halt is without a doubt a software issue.

It really is time Jaguar Sorted this issue once and for all.